Podcast blog at https://fs.blog/sheila-heen/
- Kids are amazing negotiators because they are giving immense attention to what works where as adults don’t really pay attention to stuff . Kids are always evolving and learning whereas adults are comparatively stable.
- Kids on asking to download new iPad app: ask them what is it ,why do u need it, how’s it gonna help me (as a parent)? This will allow them to rationalise their actions.
- One of the most common social dynamics is mirroring (reciprocity) : if you attack me I’ll attack you .. so if u listen to somebody .. the person will in turn listen to you as well.
- Try to train yourself to lean in more to listen and resolve a conflict when there is one and your body tells you to shut people off.
- Be purposive and not reactive. Ask what is the purpose of your actions not the reason.